2020 Oregon Junior Golf Internship
The Oregon Golf Association is offering a half-year USGA P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Internship position focusing on Oregon Junior Golf Tournament Operations designed to provide valuable hands-on experience to an individual who is interested in pursuing a career in golf administration, sports management or event management.
Internship Dates: May 2020 – January of 2021. *Start/End dates are somewhat flexible. Deadline for applications April 1, 2020.
Responsibilities: The P.J. Boatwright, Jr. intern will work primarily with Oregon Junior Golf, with additional departmental exposure to the Oregon Golf Association including Championship events, Handicapping and Course Rating, Communications and Marketing, and Member/Club Relations and Development.
Primary Areas of Responsibility: Qualified applicants will learn the internal operations of a State/Regional Golf Association. Some specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative duties in office to prepare for all Oregon Junior Golf (OJG) events & USGA Qualifiers operated by OJG.
- General tournament set-up and preparation including drafting local rules, player eligibility and membership.
- Golf course marking and set-up including equipment set-up and tear-down.
- Tournament operational responsibilities as required to ensure tournaments run effectively and efficiently.
- Volunteer support and coordination.
- Communication with 7-18 year olds and parents both on the course and via e-mail and phone correspondence.
- Frequent use of the tournament software, USGA TM Product powered by Golf Genius
- Monitoring equipment inventory, maintenance and replenishment.
- Social medial, website, and marketing including event recaps and creative design work.
- Fundraising activities.
- Create newsletter with results, recaps and photos from the season.
Secondary Areas of Responsibility:
- Handicapping and Course Rating: Expected to accompany the Manager of Course Rating on a course rating trip. Intern will receive exposure to GHIN, membership & the administration of the USGA Handicap System. The Intern is also expected to attend a handicap seminar from the Director of Handicapping.
- Championships: Expected to accompany Championship department at select OGA Championships, USGA Qualifiers operated by the OGA, and/or OGA Tour events. Duties may include course marking, event set-up, volunteer coordination, creating local rules sheets, writing event re-caps, event management and player coordination.
- Communications and Marketing: Will assist with media (photographing and writing) coverage for tournaments and will be expected to update the association website and social media sites. The intern will help maintain data in the association CRM. Graphic design duties will be assigned.
- General Association Support: Provide support to all staff including, but not limited to, answering phones, processing mailers, operating various office equipment, and organizing supplies / restocking.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must have the ability to be onsite at the OGA Woodburn facility during established working hours. Strong work ethic. Self-Motivated and ability to work in a fast paced environment. Demonstrated self-starting skills and high initiative. Ability to quickly learn and follow established procedures and processes.
- Demonstrated effective collaboration and teamwork skills. Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment with members of OGA staff, volunteers and others as required.
- Strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel and ability to work long hours including early mornings, weekends and holidays.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software is essential.
- Adobe Creative Suite experience. Proficiency in graphic design.
- Golf background or strong interest in golf administration.
- A college degree (completed or in progress) is preferred but not required.
- Must be an amateur golfer. PGM Students are eligible. PGA professionals/apprentices are ineligible.
- *USGA employees, USGA committee members, OGA employees or board members, as well as relatives of all the aforementioned individuals are not eligible for the internship program.
Benefits: Monthly salary that is to be determined w/overtime, paid bi-weekly; paid holidays during internship; complimentary golf at the OGA Golf Course; food & merchandise discounts at the OGA Golf Course; business expenses on work related travel will be covered; opportunity to learn and be introduced to golf administration at one of the largest geographic golf associations in the country. Salary range $2,000-$3,000 / month depending on hours worked.
Housing & Transportation: The selected individual must arrange his/her own housing in the area and provide his/her own transportation. When traveling on OGA related business the use of an OGA vehicle or travel reimbursement will be provided.
Work Attire: The Intern will be expected to wear neat, business casual attire for all office responsibilities. Slacks (with belt), and polo shirt are required for all tournament days (no shorts permitted). OJG logoed clothing will be provided as needed.
Application Deadline and Resume Submission: Interested applicants please send cover letter, resume, and references via e-mail to Shanda Imlay, Director of Junior Golf, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior Golf Internship” in subject line.